For many years the name Indented Head was applied to the entire Bellarine Peninsula, as named by Matthew Flinders in 1802, with the ‘indent’ being Swan Bay itself. However, the name Indented Head is now used for the quaint coastal village situated between Portarlington and St Leonards on the Bellarine Peninsula with a population of more than 1100. This number increases dramatically with the influx of tourists during the summer months.
Indented Head is a sleepy town with a post office/general store that was first opened in 1947 many years after the area became a popular foreshore camping area. The post office sits across The Esplanade from Batman Park, our largest and most popular seasonal camp ground of the three located in Indented Head. Anderson Reserve (closest to Portarlington) and Taylor Reserve are our smaller seasonal camp grounds located to the north of Batman Park.
Bellarine Bayside manages the strip of coastal Crown land in Indented Head including Wrathall Reserve which is home to the Indented Head boat ramp, the Indented Head Tennis Court and the Batman Memorial. Historical boat sheds also dot the beachfront at Indented Head, and the Indented Head Community Hall, which has a sweeping view of the Bay, is a great place to hold a wedding, party or other social event.
The hull of the Ozone paddle steamer was sunk off Indented Head in 1925 to form a breakwater for small craft and sits 50m offshore. The Ozone wreck is a great place to snorkel during summer and view the array of underwater life in Port Phillip Bay. One of the anchors from the Ozone is also a monument that sits on the cliff-top near Taylor Reserve, overlooking the wreck.