For many years the name Indented Head was applied to the entire Bellarine Peninsula, as named by Matthew Flinders in 1802, with the ‘indent’ being Swan Bay itself. However, the name Indented Head is now used for the quaint coastal village situated between Portarlington and St Leonards on the Bellarine Peninsula with a population of just over 900. Of course this number swells dramatically with the influx of tourists during the summer months. Indented Head is a sleepy town with a post office/general store that was first opened in 1947 many years after the area became a popular foreshore camping area. The post office sits across The Esplanade from Batman Park, our largest and most popular seasonal camping ground of the three located in Indented Head. Anderson Reserve (closest to Portarlington) and Taylor Reserve are our smaller camp grounds located west of Batman Park.
In addition to the three seasonal foreshore camping grounds at Indented Head, Bellarine Bayside maintains the boat ramp at Wrathall Reserve which is also home to the Batman Memorial and has ample car parking available. Historical boat sheds also dot the foreshore at Indented Head, while the Indented Head Community Hall, which has a sweeping view of the Bay, is a great place to hold a wedding, party or other social event.
The hull of the Ozone paddle steamer was sunk off Indented Head in 1925 to form a breakwater for small craft and sits 50m offshore. The Ozone wreck is a great place to snorkel during summer and view the array of underwater life in our Bay. Also, one of the anchors from the Ozone is now a monument that sits on the cliff-top near Taylor Reserve, overlooking the wreck.